The abandoned Dundas Castle
The abandoned Dundas Castle

The abandoned Dundas Castle

The abandoned Dundas Castle

Built in 1924 in Roscoe, New York

Roscoe (New York), United States

Built in 1924 in Roscoe, New York state, the Dundas Castle was modeled after a 15th century’s castle in Scotland, located near Edinburgh. The American version of the Dundas Castle was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

This castle includes a house, a courtyard, a curtain wall and a folly resembling a barbican. Dundas Castle is an unusual example of Anglo-American estate architecture in the western Catskills region of New York. Originally named Craig-E-Clair, the castle was built by Ralph W. Dundas, a socially prominent New Yorker, in a remote area in the town of Rockland, in northern Sullivan County, and the neighboring town of Colchester, in southern Delaware County.

The most recent construction works most likely began just before World War I (~1915-17) and stopped in 1924, several years after Dundas's death in 1921. On May 2nd, 1949, the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of the Masonic Order, a membership organization of African-American masons headquartered in Manhattan, purchased the property from Muriel Wurts-Dundas Boone for $47,5000 The purchase was made through Prince Hall Temple Associates, a corporation created to operate the property.

Source: http://dundascastle.synthasite.com

Related content

Monkeys castle
Haute-Normandie, (France)

Listed historical monument, the Monkeys castle is a beautiful mansion built in the seventeenth century. Its name comes from the frescoes on the walls that depict monkeys. It is also known as the Madness Castle and  the Bettor Castle. Located in a...

The old chapel
Great Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

This domain’s history is rooted in the nineteenth century, back when industrialists in Canada are mostly English or Scottish men. At that time, French-Canadian people, who form the majority of the population, do not participate in the economic...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...

The antiquarian's house
Eastern townships, Quebec (Canada)

The place is surprising. This old rooming house next to an old railway was, in another era, the nerve center of this small village in Eastern Townships. Abandoned for over fifty years according to some, it remained intact and time has slowly...