The old and abandoned Protestant church
The old and abandoned Protestant church

The old and abandoned Protestant church

The old and abandoned Protestant church

Straight as an oak

Gaspésie (Quebec), Canada

In 1892 begins the construction of the St. Andrew's church in this small village somewhere in Gaspésie. While the land was formerly occupied by the Mi'kmaq, the region was soon settled by Scots in the nineteenth century followed by Irish, English and Jersey citizens. In total, there were 825 inhabitants in 1825. In the space of a few years two churches were built.

Over 175 years later and seeing the number of practitioners melt like snow in the sun, it was decided to close one of the two churches of the village in 2011. Despite the closure of St Andrew's in 2011, citizens continued to maintain the church. Despite the infiltration of water and the fragile floor in places, this place of worship is well preserved.

Related content

The church with cubic stained-glass windows
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Closed in 2013, this church located along the highway has today a very sad mine. From the outside, a section of its stone wall presents risks of collapse and inside, the passage of many vandals is no doubt.

Located in an old village on the...

The almost abandoned Beaver Creek Free Methodist church

Built in 1895, the Beaver Creek Free Methodist Church is almost abandoned. Even if the church is actually still in use a few weeks of the year, the place is abandoned for the rest of the year.

Desolate and alone, it stands in perfect...

The abandoned united church of Tomifobia
Tomifobia, Quebec (Canada)

Into advanced disrepair, the Tomifobia United Church is no longer plume of its good old days. The place of worship has been abandoned since 1968, but there are indications about some restoration. Unfortunately, the owner does not seem to show a...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...