Hotel Adler, the abandoned bathhouse - Photo by Diane Landro
Hotel Adler, the abandoned bathhouse

Hotel Adler, the abandoned bathhouse

Hotel Adler, the abandoned bathhouse

Abandoned spa and other pleasures

Sharon Springs (New York), United States

The 150-room Adler Hotel on the northern edge of the village with its Spanish style architecture was the last great hotel built prior to the great depression in Sharon Springs. The five-story hotel opened in 1927 and closed after the 2004 summer season.

In April 2007, an investment group called, Sharon Springs Inc. primarily based in New York City who brought the historic Adler, Columbia, and Washington hotels with the goal of turning Sharon Springs back into a resort destination, held a press conference and outlined a $12 million plan to restore both the Imperial Baths and the Adler Hotel in an 18-month project that would bring in a projected 700 visitors a day when completed.

Harold Shin, project manager for Manhattan-based architectural firm DeArch LLC, described how the Adler would be restored, and how the Imperial Baths would include both traditional baths and modern spa facilities.

The plans have since changed from restoration of the existing historic hotels into "a possible $350 million plan to erect two 11-story hotels — including one with a helipad — a golf course, condominiums and a spa with a bathhouse and a day care center.

Demolition and work on the properties was planned to start in 2008 according to the principal partner, Q Sung Cho. The timeline for completion would be between five and seven years once the project begins. No work has commenced as of September 2011; the purchased historic structures are in deteriorating condition and buildings such as the Adler and Imperial Baths which were in use recently before the purchase, are now in need of immediate emergency stabilization.

Source: Wikipedia

Related content

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...

The abandoned castle of Noisy
Celles, (Belgium)

Located in the town of Celles, in the Namur area in Belgium, the  Miranda castle (or Noisy) is unquestionably one of the most famous Belgian places for urbexers . Built in 1907 (the work has began in 1866), the castle is owned by the Comte...

The old general store in St. Brigide of Iberville
Sainte-Brigide d'Iberville, Quebec (Canada)

Closed for twenty years, the old general store do not look like a ship adrift, ready to collapse under the weight of years. I mean, not that much for a wood structure. 

Known as the Peanut, the history of the store goes back over a hundred...

Teufelsberg: the former NSA station
Berlin, (Germany)

The origin of this construction is surprising. It must first be known that it is located at the top of an artificial mountain made of rubble and other residues from the buildings destroyed during the Second World War. Then, this mountain itself...