The old abandoned church
The old abandoned church

The old abandoned church

The old abandoned church

Another breathless parish

Montérégie (Quebec), Canada

The exodus of churches is not a secret. While in 2003 there was 2751 places of worship in Quebec, 270 of them were sold, closed or transformed in the space of ten years. And the trend is still moving in the same path. If a little more than half of those closed were able to find a new vocation, all were not so lucky.

This is the case of this church located in the Montérégie that closed its doors in 2015 and therefore, is not part of the above-mentioned statistics. Moreover, unlike many of its counterparts mired in deficits, the closure of this church is not related to a lack of money, but to the decline of his parishioners. Located in a village of just under 2 000 inhabitants, there were only about thirty of citizens who were there for religious ceremonies before its closure.

This is also the second church to close its doors in this parish in the space of a few years. A third church was spared for now, but who knows what will happen in the years to come.

The parish has currently no plans for the building. No auction to sell relics and furniture has been announced, despite the many meetings of its board of directors.

If its members rejoice seeing their church used for a movie in the last weeks, it will be difficult to find a new vocation for a large building in a small village. For the moment, apart from the peeling paint on the ceiling, it remains in a resplendent form.

Related content

The abandoned church and cemetery of Rivière-La Guerre
Rivière-La Guerre, Quebec (Canada)

Even if the term "abandoned village" applies to this little hamlet that was Rivière-La Guerre, I must admit that there is today not a lot of vestiges to testify the presence of this old Scottish village. This village has lived, after all, only...

The old and abandoned Protestant church
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

In 1892 begins the construction of the St. Andrew's church in this small village somewhere in Gaspésie. While the land was formerly occupied by the Mi'kmaq, the region was soon settled by Scots in the nineteenth century followed by Irish, English...

The almost abandoned Beaver Creek Free Methodist church

Built in 1895, the Beaver Creek Free Methodist Church is almost abandoned. Even if the church is actually still in use a few weeks of the year, the place is abandoned for the rest of the year.

Desolate and alone, it stands in perfect...

The abandoned St-Matthew's Episcopal Church
Saint-Chrysostôme, Quebec (Canada)

Established in the 1840s to serve the English and Irish settlers, the St-Matthew's Episcopal Church (also known as Edwardstown Anglican Church) is located outside of the St-Chrysostôme village, few kilometers near the US border.

The...