The old Jersey house
The old Jersey house

The old Jersey house

The old Jersey house

Maison Jèrriais as they say

Gaspésie (Quebec), Canada

The history of this house is intimately linked to the original owners who came from the island of Jersey, part of the Anglo-Norman Isles. From a wave of immigrants from the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey, they will be hundreds of families to settle in the Gaspé since the late eighteenth century in this vast territory already occupied by the Mi'kmaq, Acadian, Irish, Scottish and French Canadians. If the majority of this immigration is made up of businessmen and fishermen, some artisans and farmers (in the case of this story) will also be part of the lot.

Built in 1843 on a land of 114 acres, this home is located in the Gaspé hinterland. The owners will raise Jersey cows and they will made subsistence agriculture as it was the case for the majority of farmers at that time.

They will also open a general store in a small building next to the house in which we still find the shelves today, although inside is in bad shape.

Renovated and expanded, the house remained in the family of the original owner for over 160 years. Sold in 2005 to a Jersey company, it is now the property of an old English lady who just spend a few weeks a year (she didn't came since few years).

Still, the house is very well preserved. The floors are straight and the roof does not leak. In fact, only the old barn pitching dangerously such as a boat few moments before sinking. For the rest, it is hard to say if this house is abandoned without knowing it.

Also, the house is now entered in the register of cultural heritage.

Related content

Shannon Park
Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada)

Built in 1949 on the shores of the Bedford Basin in Halifax, Shannon Park is a former site of the Department of National Defence (DND) that stretches on over 96.5 acres (38.8 hectares). While the site was gradually abandoned at the turn of 2000,...

The Mascouche seigniorial mansion - Photos by Pierre Bourgault
Mascouche, Quebec (Canada)

Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...

Monkeys castle
Haute-Normandie, (France)

Listed historical monument, the Monkeys castle is a beautiful mansion built in the seventeenth century. Its name comes from the frescoes on the walls that depict monkeys. It is also known as the Madness Castle and  the Bettor Castle. Located in a...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...