The Abandoned Aerodrome
The Abandoned Aerodrome

The Abandoned Aerodrome

The Abandoned Aerodrome

Vestige of the Civil War of Spain

Calzadilla de los Barros, Spain

Located a few kilometers from the municipality of Calzadilla de los Barros and its 850 inhabitants, the abandoned aerodrome dates from before the Spanish Civil War which took place from 1936 to 1939 with the victory of General Franco.

It was also bombed on 5 August 1936 by the national army of Franco, about three weeks after the beginning of hostilities.

After the war, the place was occupied by farmers until the end of the 1960s. Only the buildings remained intact, the rest having given way to vines.

Few information is available on the Internet about this place frozen in time, except that narratives of the elders separated by the war who remember these planes taking off from the base to go bombard the city of Merida.

Related content

The Park lane café
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec (Canada)

The place is big, very big. While the building is nearly 200,000 square feet, the site, meanwhile, is over than 430,000 square feet in an agricultural area of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. For those interested, the site is for sale and the current...

Silos
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Built in the early twentieth century, the former Canada Malting plant has a dozen gigantic silos of 37 meters high. The oldest was built in 1905. Hundreds of employees worked there after the Second World War, until the closure of the factory at...

Spexel, the Beauharnois abandoned plant
Beauharnois, Quebec (Canada)

It's over 92 years of industrial history that ended in 2004 when the Spexel factory was closed down. The story of this plant start in 1912 when is built the paper mill, which took the name of Howard Smith Paper Mill. Over the following years, the...

Cayadutta Tanning
Gloversville, New York (United States)

Located in Gloversville near Albany NY, this abandoned factory is ready to crumble. Before 1870, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City. When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the...