The abandoned Stelfil plant in Lachine
The abandoned Stelfil plant in Lachine

The abandoned Stelfil plant in Lachine

The abandoned Stelfil plant in Lachine

Empty plant

Lachine (Quebec), Canada

Victim of the globalization of markets, the history of Stelfil Ltd. has suddenly stopped on March 28, 2008 for the factory and its hundred employees. The company has been decorated in 2002 in the Great manufacturing company category by the Mouvement québécois de la qualité and its future looked very promising after several years of unprofitability. But, on November 3, 2005, the worldwide leader, Mittal Steel (now ArcelorMittal) announced its acquisition. Then, three years later, the factory is closed. Official reason: consolidate another Mittal plant, located on the Saint-Patrick street, few kilometers from there.

What was manufactured at the Stelfil? The name says so. Wires of high and low carbon content, armature wires, closing wires, strand wires, etc.. In short, they were produced 84 000 tons per year. 24 hours per day, seven days a week. In 2002, at the time of being rewarded, 251 employees and 32 managers was working there.

The Dominion Wire Manufacturing Company

Founded in 1872, the  Dominion (Stelfil Ltd.) became the Dominion Wire Manufacturing Company in 1883 when it have been moved to the current location. More than a hundred years of history reduced to a vast empty warehouse in a few years.

Today, it doesn't remains a lot of thing inside. Apart from a few tires, old barrels and other trash, the place is empty. The tour is not worth so much trouble. We toured pretty quickly. There are input via the nearby business that earns you a few little shivers (lots of signs saying that the place is under surveillance and a sheet in the window with the header of a company repeatedly cited during the Charbonneau commission for its links with organized crime), but that's all.

Related content

Cayadutta Tanning
Gloversville, New York (United States)

Located in Gloversville near Albany NY, this abandoned factory is ready to crumble. Before 1870, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City. When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the...

The former Grands Moulins de Paris company
Marquette-Lez-Lille, (France)

Built in 1921 on the left bank of the Deule in Marquette-Lez-Lille (north of the France), the majestic Grands Moulins de Paris's mill is a huge structure adrift waiting for a renaissance that is pending since few decades.

The history of...

The abandoned foundry
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

It takes a lot of motivation to get to this old mine and foundry abandoned since 2002. For it must be admitted that we are rather far from everything in this distant municipality of 650 inhabitants. Moreover, if this village exists, it is above...

The pit - Photo: Jarold Dumouchel
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1954, the Dickson incinerator was, at the time, the most modern one in North America. It was built to replace these old incinerators where horses were used for harvesting waste.

In the 1920s, the city of Montreal was struggling...