The abandoned St-Matthew's Episcopal Church
The abandoned St-Matthew's Episcopal Church

The abandoned St-Matthew's Episcopal Church

The abandoned St-Matthew's Episcopal Church

Also known as Edwardstown Anglican Church

Saint-Chrysostôme (Quebec), Canada

Established in the 1840s to serve the English and Irish settlers, the St-Matthew's Episcopal Church (also known as Edwardstown Anglican Church) is located outside of the St-Chrysostôme village, few kilometers near the US border.

The cemetery is located on the north side of the church. The condition of the cemetery today is quite good in spite of considerable how the church looks like today.

In the 20th century, the number of parishioners dwindled but the church continued to hold annual services until 1985. That year vandals damaged the building and stole many of its furnishings. As the result, the building has been boarded up to protect what remains. Pity, since the building has great architectural character being an early example of the "Revivalist Gothic Style". Since 1985, the annual services have continued to be held in an alternate venue.

Today, the church itself is in good shape, but when we look inside, we see all the vandals’s work. The furnitures have been demolished and blasphemous graffiti have been written on the walls.

There is the giant clam that has not been stolen, but the fact that it is still there is probably due to its weight. We tried to put it back on its plinth, but it was much too heavy...

Source: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcchatea/cemeteries/edwardstown/

Related content

The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council
Saint-Romual, Quebec (Canada)

Abandoned since 2002, the huge complex that has formed the abbay of Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Conseil in Saint-Romuald is now completely destroyed. Vandalized and burned several times, its owner, the Ultramar refinery, had no choice and have razed the...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The Mascouche seigniorial mansion - Photos by Pierre Bourgault
Mascouche, Quebec (Canada)

Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...

The abandoned church and cemetery of Rivière-La Guerre
Rivière-La Guerre, Quebec (Canada)

Even if the term "abandoned village" applies to this little hamlet that was Rivière-La Guerre, I must admit that there is today not a lot of vestiges to testify the presence of this old Scottish village. This village has lived, after all, only...