Riverside Psychiatric Center
Riverside Psychiatric Center

Riverside Psychiatric Center

Riverside Psychiatric Center

Abandoned psychiatric hospital

Riverside (New York), United States

Riverside Psychiatric Center is a former New York State Psychiatric Hospital which was open from 1873 to the early 2000’s. The hospital was meant to hold 300 patients of either sex. However, the female wing of the hospital was built shorter than the male wing in belief that there would be fewer female than male patients admitted.

As a result, it is one of the few Kirkbridge Hospitals to have been built with asymmetrical wings. Changes in the treatment of mental illness, such as psychotherapy and psychotropic drugs, were making large-scale facilities relics and allowing more patients to lead more normal lives without being committed. As psychiatry moved forward, inpatient treatment became less popular and the decline of the psychiatric hospital proceeded.

Related content

Mount Sinai Sanatorium
Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Quebec (Canada)

Infected with tuberculosis, the former Jewish hospital was abandoned since 1998. Built in 1930, the building was Art Deco inspiration which was uncommon outside the cities. Was Art Deco inspiration because the building has been demolished in 2005...

The abandoned maternity
Kneževo, (Croatia)

Closed in 1981, this abandoned maternity is located in Kneževo in Croatia, near the border of Hungary and only few kilometers away from Serbia.

The village is composed of approximately 960 inhabitants and is located in the county of Osijek...

The Dr Küss abandoned hospital
Nord du pays, (France)

We are a few months away from the twentieth century. Tuberculosis remains a scourge that we can't control or even contain. The sanatorium which opened in 1899 has two missions. If the first is to treat patients, the second aims to focus on...

The abandoned orphanage
North of the country, (France)

Completed in 1883 and funded by a local industrialist, this orphanage for boys has been built during a era marked by poverty and many children abandoned and left to their own end. Launched in 1875, the project was intended as a gift to the city...