Popularized by a french CBC tv show, the former Iraqi consulate in Montreal is abandoned since 1980. Built by architect Jacques Vincent, the house is sold to the Consulate of Iraq in 1979 for the amount of $ 365,000. By the way, the same house...
Built in 1949 on the shores of the Bedford Basin in Halifax, Shannon Park is a former site of the Department of National Defence (DND) that stretches on over 96.5 acres (38.8 hectares). While the site was gradually abandoned at the turn of 2000, it was in 2003 that the last employees left permanently.
Originally, the small community was consisting of 421 apartments (all identical) in approximately 65 buildings, a Canex store (military store), two schools, two churches, warehouses, arenas, swimming pool, center Community and sports fields. In short, a complete city within a city. The architecture is very banal and apartments showed the same restraint.
At the final closure of the site, a large revitalization project was begun. Very quickly, people were consulted and a schedule was developed that target the spring 2019. This is when the new condos should be available for sale.
Until then, they have to remove asbestos and raze the buildings. Already, the operation is going well. There is only few buildings where asbestos has not been removed. Overall, the last buildings should be razed in February 2017. For now, though nothing has been demolished, all the buildings who have been cleaned are completely emptied. Only the concrete structures remains, which mean that there are no more division or piping inside. Photographically speaking, it is a very boring place except from the outside.
Popularized by a french CBC tv show, the former Iraqi consulate in Montreal is abandoned since 1980. Built by architect Jacques Vincent, the house is sold to the Consulate of Iraq in 1979 for the amount of $ 365,000. By the way, the same house...
The 150-room Adler Hotel on the northern edge of the village with its Spanish style architecture was the last great hotel built prior to the great depression in Sharon Springs. The five-story hotel opened in 1927 and closed after the 2004 summer...
Partially destroyed in 1986 (nearly 40% was razed) and now totally neglected, the Redpath Mansion was designed by architect Sir Andrew Taylor and built for Francis Robert Redpath, a member of the rich family who worked on the construction of the...
In 1918 the Erie Canal was re-routed to by-pass downtown Rochester, and in 1919 the abandoned canal was bought to serve as a grade-separated route for the heavy "inter-urban" streetcars that were seen as obstructing surface street traffic. Tracks...