The abandoned boys institute
The abandoned boys institute

The abandoned boys institute

The abandoned boys institute

The Beaux-Arts influenced Gregorian Revival style buildings

Cecil County (Maryland), United States

Located at the north of Baltimore, this Beaux-Arts influenced Gregorian Revival style by N.Y. architects Boring and Tilton buildings was one of the oldest school of Maryland before its closure in the 90s. The 330 acre campus is constituted of three boarding houses, an indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, dinner hall, hotel for visitors and guests, theater and much more.

The school has been built around 1900 in a tiny town near a beautiful river with the donation of one of the richest philanthropist of the United States of America who gave money to colleges, churches and schools.

During the World War II, the institute has changed its vocation when the country was looking for new training centers. Purcharsed by the government in the 1940s, they have created a massive 1,132 acre campus. Overall, more than 350,000 sailors for battle will be trained there.

After the end of the WWII, the campus will be deactivated in 1947. A skeleton maintenance crew remained behind to protect the buildings from deterioration until it reopened in February of 1951, during the advent of a new war: the Korean War. Although the buildings were maintained on a basic level, a substantial amount of repair work needed to be done throughout the first year. Then, the facility operated again as a Naval Training Center until the operation was mothballed in mid-1950s. On March 31st 1976, the entire base and campus was officially shuttered with a estimated total of over 500,000 sailors trained.

Used then for local services during few years, the huge campus will be subject to vandalism and thief. Today, even if many constructions have been demolished by the government, the main buildings are still there. 

Related content

The Mascouche seigniorial mansion - Photos by Pierre Bourgault
Mascouche, Quebec (Canada)

Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...

The old Minas de Riotinto locomotives
Minas de Riotinto, (Spain)

We are talking about over 5000 years of mining history in this area. The landscape has been changed forever, and it looks at some places like a alien planet where red, yellow, purple mingle with green, gray and ocher.

The ten abandoned...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...

The abandoned music studio
North of Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Built by record producer Andre Perry in the early 70s, Le Studio is a real monument in the history of music. Located in the Laurentian mountains, an hour and a half north of Montreal , the site was a huge recording facility, featuring the most...