The old abandoned convent
The old abandoned convent

The old abandoned convent

The old abandoned convent

The school of the last chance

Eastern townships (Quebec), Canada

Well hidden behind a church and large mature trees, the old convent was abandoned for some years. In a resplendent form, it doesn't look abandoned, except for the thousand dead flies on the floor who confirm that clean up hasn't been made for a while.

Opened in 1882 by a religious congregation of Nicolet, the convent will evolve over time based on community needs. Thus, in 1968, the convent will be transformed into a retirement home for nuns of the community. From 2000 to 2013, the convent will be converted into "school of last resort" for troubled youth aged 12 to 18 years. It will be finally closed and abandoned in 2014.

Today, the old convent more than a century is empty and there remains only some furniture and artifacts here and there, scattered on three floors that make up the building. Having preserved its original charm and floors that creak under the weight of visitors, its architecture reminds the Catholic rectories late nineteenth early twentieth century. The wind blows constantly also to gives you the illusion of human presence within its walls. Alas, the only two residents met were winged and afraid of our presence in the attic where they had taken up residence.

The future of the old convent is uncertain. If a project of fifty units had been announced with great fanfare for a total investment of $ 4 million, forced to admit that nothing has been changed. The demand of the city asking that the architecture  respect the buildings around is probably one of the causes for the delay in the schedule. Worse yet, a "for sale" sign seems to indicate that the owners have thrown in the towel about this building.

Related content

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The Mascouche seigniorial mansion - Photos by Pierre Bourgault
Mascouche, Quebec (Canada)

Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...

The abandoned church of Shrewsbury
Gore, Quebec (Canada)

Update (2014-01-14): The Municipality of Gore is offering a $5,000 cash reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the fire that burned down Shrewsbury Church, on January 13, 2014. Anyone with information regarding to...

The church with cubic stained-glass windows
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Closed in 2013, this church located along the highway has today a very sad mine. From the outside, a section of its stone wall presents risks of collapse and inside, the passage of many vandals is no doubt.

Located in an old village on the...