At the corner of the street
Berri house condemned to be demolished

Berri house condemned to be demolished

Berri house condemned to be demolished

When fire changes everything

Montréal (Quebec), Canada

Built in 1875 in the Ahuntsic-Cartierville district located in the north of Montreal, Berri house is Second Empire style and has been part of the development of the sector, which began in the late nineteenth century. The city took possession of the house in 1951 for the development of this area located in the southern Ahuntsic area. In 1957, the building was renovated and its vocation has been changed. It will be known as the Ahuntsic medical clinic until 1969.

From 1980 to 1990, the building became a therapeutic center where patients are treated for learning disabilities, behavior, hearing and language. The building was abandoned in 2000.

While its fate seemed to improve when the building has been selected for a redevelopment project, a fire will declare the 4th of September, 2013. Although the fire was quickly mastered, the damage done to the building has forced the borough of Ahuntsic-Cartierville to review the project and then, they decided that the house will be deconstructed and the reusable materials will be recycled.

Related content

The abandoned fisherman's house
Prince-Edouard-Island, Prince Edward Island (Canada)

It was supposed to be a quiet family trip. Destination: the province of Prince Edward Island and the Madeleine islands, a small archipelago consisting of a half-dozen of islands interconnected by bridges and roads. For readers outside of Canada,...

The abandoned Dundas Castle
Roscoe, New York (United States)

Built in 1924 in Roscoe, New York state, the Dundas Castle was modeled after a 15th century’s castle in Scotland, located near Edinburgh. The American version of the Dundas Castle was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001....

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The old abandoned monastery

The monastery was built at the beginning of the 20th century. Situated on a mountainside so as to offer occupants a breathtaking view of the area that extends to their feet, the site is still 100 years later of great beauty. Three floors high,...