The Buzludzha monument
The Buzludzha monument

The Buzludzha monument

The Buzludzha monument

A UFO in the Balkans

Buzludzha, Bulgaria

A historical brief

We are in Bulgaria, a small state of Central Europe who joined the European Union in 2007 and still relatively unknown outside its touristy areas of the Black Sea.

The construction of the building began in 1974 and the inauguration took place in 1981 on the occasion of the 1300th anniversary of the Bulgarian state. But the fall of the Berlin Wall and the satellite countries of the USSR in 1989 caused the abandonment of the building now fully walled...

Located at 1441 meters on top of Mount Buzludzha, this old conference hall of the Bulgarian Communist Party was designed by architect Gueorguy Stoilov and required 7 years of work.

It was a national subscription and various donations from supporters helped to finance the monument for a total of nearly 14.186 million leva (€ 7 million).

This location has been selected for its historic value. In 1868 this mountain were the battlefield of the final battle between Bulgarian rebels and Turkish.

About 6,000 workers, civil engineering of the Bulgarian army and volunteers worked on the site in 1974 and 20 of the famous Bulgarian painters and sculptors have realized the huge frescoes and mosaics.

Related content

Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça : fortress Our Lady of Grace
Elvas, (Portugal)

Located in the parish of Alcazaba about one kilometer from the town of Elvas in Portugal, the fortress Our Lady of Grace, better known by the Portuguese as the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça or Forte Conde de Lippe, this is a imposing building...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...

The abandoned music studio
North of Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Built by record producer Andre Perry in the early 70s, Le Studio is a real monument in the history of music. Located in the Laurentian mountains, an hour and a half north of Montreal , the site was a huge recording facility, featuring the most...

The abandoned castle of Noisy
Celles, (Belgium)

Located in the town of Celles, in the Namur area in Belgium, the  Miranda castle (or Noisy) is unquestionably one of the most famous Belgian places for urbexers . Built in 1907 (the work has began in 1866), the castle is owned by the Comte...