The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council
The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council

The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council

The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council

The abandoned Cistercian community of St. Romuald

Saint-Romual (Quebec), Canada

Abandoned since 2002, the huge complex that has formed the abbay of Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Conseil in Saint-Romuald is now completely destroyed. Vandalized and burned several times, its owner, the Ultramar refinery, had no choice and have razed the last vestiges of this religious complex following a ultimate arson.

Owner of the site since 2007, Ultramar had a project for the place, a park but it has never been realized. In fact, this territory was, for its owner, a buffer zone between the company activities and the residential area.

The site had a rich history of more than one hundred years. It is also in 1902 that settled a group of Trappist who came from France to devote their lives to God in silence and prayer. While the construction of the monastery ends in 1903, the site is placed under the patronage of Our-Lady-of-Good-Counsel. Until 1906, the community has 14 recruits, 8 novices and 4 postulants.

Life is organized around God and the community is self-sufficient with their 200 acres of land where fruit and vegetable grow. A farm is also built where members of the religious community are taking care of animals. The neighbors also recall that the sisters were making Cistercian's chocolate. Excellent chocolate by the way.

In 1960, a new wing will be built to allow the sisters to be less cramped in these buildings. At this time, nearly 95 religious was living in this abbey. Unfortunately, the following decades were marked by the decline of the community. Whereas in 1993 they were only 42, they will be only 26 in 2001 to leave St.Romuald to their new homes located in the Beauce region. At the same time, has begun the long agony of a decade of this places marked by two major fires, some projects of real estate projects who has been abandoned and the final demolition in the last years by Ultramar.

Related content

The abandoned united church of Tomifobia
Tomifobia, Quebec (Canada)

Into advanced disrepair, the Tomifobia United Church is no longer plume of its good old days. The place of worship has been abandoned since 1968, but there are indications about some restoration. Unfortunately, the owner does not seem to show a...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The old abandoned church
Montérégie, Quebec (Canada)

The exodus of churches is not a secret. While in 2003 there was 2751 places of worship in Quebec, 270 of them were sold, closed or transformed in the space of ten years. And the trend is still moving in the same path. If a little more than half...

The abandoned church and cemetery of Rivière-La Guerre
Rivière-La Guerre, Quebec (Canada)

Even if the term "abandoned village" applies to this little hamlet that was Rivière-La Guerre, I must admit that there is today not a lot of vestiges to testify the presence of this old Scottish village. This village has lived, after all, only...